Fights on planes, kids killed by bullying in school, shout infested town hall meetings is what populated the news today. There are great people doing good things everyday. Good news does not make money thus good news does not make the news.
We need a revival of civility. We are hungry for a great awakening of doing good. Good needs to rule again.
One of the best things we can do for our mental and emotional state is to do good. Thomas Jefferson said he believed every human mind feels pleasure in doing good to another. He was way before his time. It has been proven to reduces stress as well as improve mood, self-esteem and happiness. Additionally, it helps you get rid of negative feelings and help you live longer and better.
When you do good, you feel good. Doing good brings a sense of belonging. It reduces isolation and keeps things in perspective. Above all, it helps make the world a happier place.
Doing good is contagious. The way it makes everyone feel creates a wave of goodness. Recently at a Starbucks in Pennsylvania, one person began a chain reaction at the drive thru. Someone paid for the person’s order behind them and it continued over 160 times. It was so contagious even a 20 year old barista stepped in and paid out of his own pocket.
Simple acts of kindness peppered throughout your day can it go better. Discovering ways to do good can complicate simple ways. Here are a few ways today you can start doing good:
- Smile to someone and greet them eye to eye.
- Call a friend you haven’t spoken to for a while.
- Send an old fashion snail mail letter/card to someone.
- Help a friend pack for a move.
- Help your mother with household chores.
- Make a cup of coffee or tea for someone.
- Give up your seat to an elderly, disabled, or pregnant person.
- Let a fellow driver merge into the lane.
- Check on someone you know who is going through a tough time.
- Offer to babysit for a friend or family who simply needs a small break.
And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works Hebrews:10:24
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. ‘Til your good is better and your better is best. – St. Jerome
%d bloggers like this: