Caution: Reading this post and following the scriptures in this content will cause God to abundantly, tremendously, and enormously bless your life.
“I just wanna be blessed?”
“Bless me Lord!“
Phrases frequent the lips of believers seeking the hand of God in their lives. Is there a sure way or formula which if we are obedient could lead to blessings? What about the abundant and plentiful more than enough blessings as described the Word of God? The answer is yes!
Many fall short of walking out the important scriptures when it comes to being obedient in tithes and offerings. In fact, many who tithe, the giving of 10 percent of our income to God, are robbing God on a scheduled basis. Yes, I said those who tithe.
Let’s read what God says regarding the tithes and offerings from Malachi 3:6-12. I have embolden and underlined a few things:
“For I the Lord do not change; therefore you, O children of Jacob, are not consumed. From the days of your fathers you have turned aside from my statutes and have not kept them. Return to me, and I will return to you, says the Lord of hosts. But you say, ‘How shall we return?’ Will man rob God? Yet you are robbing me. But you say, ‘How have we robbed you?’ In your tithes and offerings. You are cursed with a curse, for you are robbing me, the whole nation of you. Bring the full tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. And thereby put me to the test, says the Lord of hosts, if I will not open the windows of heaven for you and pour down for you a blessing until there is no more need. I will rebuke the devourer for you, so that it will not destroy the fruits of your soil, and your vine in the field shall not fail to bear, says the Lord of hosts. Then all nations will call you blessed, for you will be a land of delight, says the Lord of hosts.
As believers, all we possess belongs to God. All. Everything we have has been provided to us by our heavenly Father. We are instructed to give or pay back 10 percent back to Him. (God is good. This is tremendously less than Uncle Sam!) The rest belongs to us. It is all our’s – 90 percent.
For an example, if we make $100 a week on our paycheck. After taxes, we may take home $80. We should tithe or give ten percent back to God of $10. It’s not God’s fault our country takes so much and at the same time, it is important we pay our tithes based on our gross pay and not net. (This is based on the American taxation system for those reading outside of the United States) This is why Jesus said we should pay unto Caesar (the government) what is Caesar’s and unto God what is God’s. (Mark 12:17).
Many times I have seen one’s tithe being paid down to the cent yet miss the blessing over and over again. They relish in their obedience of the tithe. They stop short in offerings. Giving of offerings is where we stop short of the blessing and at the same time continue to rob God. (Malachi 3:8)
This is where I encourage all to read the fine print. We neglect the and in this important scripture of tithes and offerings. (Malachi 3:8) Not reading and obediently following the and leads to the blessings not being poured out into our lives. Don’t forget the and.
How much to you give in offering? I share your offering is a financial thank you gift to God. As you give ‘thank you’ gifts to others for what they have done in your life, you should view your offering as such towards God. Be careful, this offering could grow! The more you begin to think about how much God as done in your life grows the offering more and more. You can never, ever, ever out give God!
As a church leader, I apologize for us as church leaders for not teaching the offering part much less the tithe part. I teach often regarding the importance of tithes and offerings because I desire all to walk out the blessed life by being obedient in paying your tithes and giving your offerings. Statistically, I lead a church in the poorest city of the poorest county in the Atlanta metro area. I see often lives abundantly blessed because they obediently walk out the scriptures regarding tithes and offerings.
You can begin walking in the blessed life today. How can you begin today to pay your tithes and give your offerings? What do you need to omit from your budget so the robbing of God can discontinue and blessings of God can begin? Create a strategy plan today. Find someone who you know is obedient in following these principles and ask them to keep you accountable. Let God know your desire to place Him first in your finances.
For other post related to this one, read the following: